Abby’s Corner | Self-Care
“Our soul is like a soft and gentle flower, it needs to be nurtured, cared for, tended to, with sufficient sunlight, fresh air and freedom to bloom into its most precious and beautiful form. This, my friend, is self-love.”~Miya Yamanouchi
Are we exhausted and a bit confused by the title of this post? Or are you like me and feel this is an everyday directional path and you are not sure if you are up or down? Life is one step forward and 50 steps BLOWN back? I mean I rock a pretty mean hairstyle, but I spend so much time with my hands up in it I have cut down on product!
So, how do we deal with social media, crazy roller coasters, and the blank stare we have adopted due to the high stress of our constant flight or fight mode?
Let’s explore this craze that has been thrown at us!
Now, some of these you have heard before, and let’s be real, we need to hear them again! Like, commit to them!! Set these puppies in stone ya’ll!
- First, put down your phone, or other smart devices!! Yes, I see you over there! Put it down! Walk away! Do not pick it up for 30 minutes! Take a deep breath and calm your mind, feed your body, and be thankful for all you have that is yours and brings you a positive mindset. Is it your family? Friends? A deep breath of calming AIR?
- Exercise! That is right! Get your heart rate up! Again, another 30 minute a day activity that reduces stress and blood pressure! Walk with a friend, find a fitness plan that brings you joy! Don’t sign-up for a marathon if you have no interest in running. It will only add to the crazy!
- Do NOT over-commit!! I have several exclamations to this one and maybe it is more for myself! We cannot be everything to everyone. As soon as you accept this I promise you will feel like you lost several pounds of stress.
- Write down everything you are committed to, want to do, and have promised. Are there some of these ticket items that you could cash in? Some you can simply state, “No?” See something that lights you up? Then scale back on the things that do not bring you that balance you need.
- I will say it again, we are not meant to be everything to everyone. Fill yourself with love and give yourself some slack! You got this! If you don’t know how then talk to yourself like you would with a friend that is so stressed it looks like they are tanked up on caffeine and can’t really be it in without you! Trust me, it works!
- Finally, my friends and family, if you struggle with guilt, I am here to tell you it is a worthless emotion. Now, if you wronged someone or are intentionally hurting someone, then, ignore this and get some help.
- You’re going to make mistakes, but there is NO reason to keep beating yourself up overtimes you made a poor decision or said “no” to something due to feeling too strapped. The person you said, “no” to will understand, and if not is this a place you want to be investing your energy?
I don’t know about you but I think even my hair is a bit more relaxed and I am going to peace out for now and take that 30-minute walk!
- Header photo contains red sneakers on multi-directional arrows
- Drained: A woman sits on the floor with her back against the wall and her head in her hands
- Relaxed Young woman relaxing in the bathtub with her back to the camera as her arms are outstretched on the outer rim of the tub.