Living a Nourished Life
Nourishment! We know that we need to eat to nourish our bodies to sustain physical health, and food can also complement our lives in other ways. It can also be used to nourish our heart, mind, spirit and neighbors. For example, cooking and feeding those we love nourishes our own well being, as well as others. Sharing quality time and responsibilities in the kitchen can build household skills for generations to come. Mealtime is together time that can satisfy our needs on several levels. Feeling fully nourished happens when we include daily practices that feed not only our bodies, but all aspects of wellbeing.
Nourish to flourish is a popular saying that can not only be applied to food, but also to the parts of ourselves that make us feel whole. An idea presented in a recent interview I did with Rev. Dr. Lisa Waites was the daily practice of doing something for the heart, body, mind, spirit, and neighbor. Her concept can be thought of as rooms in a house that come together to make a happy and flourishing home. Making a daily habit of taking care of your body, as well as your mind, heart, and spirit is self care. Extending this notion to your neighbors can help create a positive and supportive environment in which to live. This could be a process that is uniquely yours, and will be your own recipe for living a nourished life. Check out the first interview of Quick & Delish Life Conversations with Rev. Dr. Lisa Waites.
Consider doing something daily to nourish your heart, body, mind, spirit and neighbor.
What will you do to nourish your Heart?
- Find an activity that brings you happiness or inspires your creativity, such as dance, art, gardening, writing or reading.
- Spend some time each day exploring what brings you joy!
What will you do to nourish your Body?
- Eat foods that are healthy for you. Eat vegetables and fruits, as well as whole grains and a variety of plant- and animal- based proteins.
- Plan meals ahead of time that are easily accessible in a time crunch. Meal prep for a couple days and freeze some meals for the future.
What will you do to nourish your Mind?
- Learning a new skill, reading about a new topic or concept, or teaching what you know to others will help keep your mind sharp.
What will you do to nourish your Spirit ?
- Being spiritual refers to staying true to your morals, values, and beliefs. Keep the peace within you by setting boundaries and surrounding yourself with people who support your journey.
What will you do to nourish your Neighbor?
- Creating a safe and friendly environment is crucial for a thriving community. Try helping a neighbor in need by taking food to a new mother, family, or elder. The offering of food will nourish them physically, but will also create an emotional connection and fill up your cup.
Having this practice could help you reflect your values in your day. Here’s to living a nourished life, one day at a time!
To learn about creating your own simple, healthy meal planning system or find support to meet your health goals, schedule a free one-on-one Nutrition for Wellness Strategy Session with me!
To receive meal planning tips, recipe ideas, and to learn about meal planning events, join my email list.
By Alicia Connor, MA, Registered Dietitian Nutritionist & Chef
Links to Alicia Connor’s Socials:
- Quick & Delish on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT0DBT0dF_qEeiePwcxamMw
- Quick & Delish on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/quick_delish/?hl=en
- Quick & Delish on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/aliciaconnorrd/
- Join Alicia Connor’s email list: quickanddelish.ck.page/cheers-to-your-health
- Sign up for Alicia Connor’s Virtual Meal Planning Series: https://www.quickanddelish.net/workshop
Alicia Connor is a registered dietitian nutritionist and chef who is passionate about encouraging lifestyle shifts with a focus on meal planning and simplifying healthy eating. Alicia built a career as a chef, including working at a top San Francisco restaurant. As a young adult facing hereditary vision loss, she took control and pivoted to another career as a dietitian to grow roots deeper than ‘just cooking.’ She has seen the impact of meal planning and nutrition in her clients over the years, often through their increased energy, empowered weight loss journeys, and freedom to pursue more of their passions due to increased confidence.
Moving away from the mindset of dieting, Alicia helps clients build a toolkit of strategies to reduce stress and increase peace of mind. She supports her clients through one-on-one sessions and a virtual meal planning program to build helpful habits and create actionable plans to meet their goals.
‘Quick & Delish by Alicia Connor’ is a video cooking series on YouTube where Alicia presents easy recipes with minimal steps for flavorful, balanced meals.
- “Body, mind, spirit, and soul” handwriting in black ink on multi colored sticky notes on a wooden background.
- A drawing of a house with 4 rooms inside, each room labeled body, mind, spirit, and heart. There is a walkway to a neighbor’s house.
- Author photo: Alicia Connor a pretty brunette with dark wavy shoulder-length hair wearing a denim jacket as she leans on a kitchen counter with assorted veggies in front of her.