Rejection is a tough thing for a young lady to swallow. Especially not knowing any other blind women in my life. If I could go back and talk to me then I would say “find yourself a role model.”Amy Wilson
Dating Tips: Wrong In All The Right Ways
Stereotypes are bizarre right? And if you have been blind longer than a day you know
My first experience was when I was hanging out with this good-looking guy. We got along great so naturally, I thought a relationship could happen. Man, was I wrong! As soon as it came out of my mouth he turned me down flat and was rude enough to tell me why–because I’m blind! WTF?!?
Rejection is a tough thing for a young lady to swallow. Especially not knowing any other blind women in my life. If I could go back and talk to me then I would say “find yourself a role model.” I wish I could say it got better as I got older but no.
Now anyone who knows me knows I am a confident person for the most part. I’m outgoing and make friends easily but rejection isn’t easy for anyone.
Rejection Of A Different Kind
Fast forward about ten years later. Married, baby, then divorced and several hundred miles away from family. Talk about putting on your big girl panties
Dating was a little different but still the same. Now I just do it online. Online dating is a beast of its own and has good and bad qualities. But here we go again and how do I tell them I’m blind?
Tip: when meeting people online, meet in an area that you are conformable with and know how to get around. In case you need to run away. lol
This time around I was rejected for having a kid, being divorced, my crazy friends and then it happened: The “you’re blind.”
After two or three of these incidences I went on a rant to a friend of mine. He told me that “blindness and beauty didn’t go together.” His words floored me. Was he right?
Now with my normal overthinking, it came to my attention that disabilities in general, are considered to be an ugly thing. I think this is one of my biggest reasons for loving Mary Kay. Even though Mary Kay is a part of the beauty industry, I learned at my first event the company appreciates all shapes, sizes, and disabilities.
But here are some things I learned from those interesting dating experiences.
- When you are rejected because of your blindness it says more about them than it does you. You can look at it like you dodged a bullet too! lol
- Taking selfies for your online dating profile is tough and it takes a lot of practice.
- There is someone out there who will accept you for you. Pre-warning: you might have to kiss a few frogs to find them though. lol Lord knows I did.
- Society’s truth is not your truth.
- You are amazing just the way you are. Each person is a little wrong in all the right ways. So stay true to you.
Final Words Of Wisdom
Now if you’re single, put on your confidence, a dash of sex appeal, and be a little wrong in your right way.
It has taken me over twenty years to come to the realization that I love being wrong in all the right ways. So if it takes you some time to realize your awesomeness it’s all good. There is a whole other world waiting for you on the other side.
Featured Image Description
Two birds are huddled together on a tree branch looking lovey dovey.
- The first image is a younger Amy with a big smile on her face. She is wearing a denim jacket and a silver statement necklace.
- Sweet photo of Amy hugging her son, both of them smiling and wearing jackets.
As usual, you can find me on Facebook or join my Facebook group:
- Facebook: @AmyWilson
- Facebook Group: @Wilson’s Wildflowers