Brow Lamination | The What, Benefits & Process
“It is said that the eyes are the Windows of the soul. But the truth is, the eyebrows are. They’re the ones that express your emotion best.”~Nancy Parker & Nancy Kallsh
Beauty Editor’s Note:
There is nothing that can define your facial features more than eyebrows. It balances the facial structure and gives shape. Last year I took a continuing education class on brow lamination and I thought I would share the details of this brow service option. ~Dana
What is it?
Brow lamination is a service that is like a perm for your eyebrows. It allows you to dip your toe in the water to find out how you like to have a defined brow without doing microblading or permanent makeup.
The service is usually paired with eyebrow tinting for a bolder look. Tinting goes hand and hand with brow lamination in order for your brows to look more defined. Depending on the service provider once your eyebrows are tinted they may follow up with the shaping via waxing or tweezing. Brow lamination allows for a well-groomed brow with a consistent shape. This makes it easier to fill in brows even when you don’t have any makeup on.
What are the benefits?
Out of all the brow services that are available out there it is the most affordable. The average price range for a brow lamination service runs $50 to $100. It gives the eye an uplift. And it is ideal for somebody who has unruly brows (that’s eyebrows that go in different directions as far as the hair).
In addition, if you have gaps in your brows this would be beneficial for you. It is also low maintenance and there is no long-term commitment. It’s only every 6 to 8 weeks that you need to have them redone.
What’s the process?
The procedure does not take very long.
- First, the eyebrows are cleansed of any makeup or oils.
- Secondly, a protective barrier is applied around the eyebrow area such as a petroleum-based product.
- Next a lifting balm solution is applied to the eyebrows. It will smell like a perm.
- This process will allow for the brows to be manipulated in the direction you would want them to go. Once this solution is removed a neutralizer is applied and the eyebrows are brushed into the desired direction.
- The last step is the eyebrow tinting phase. And voilà you’re done.
A moisturizing serum is applied to the finished brows to moisturize them. An eyebrow lash conditioner may be recommended for in between visits.
It takes about 24 hours for the eyebrow lamination to set. You must avoid getting them wet, saunas or hot tubs. You also must sleep on your back and avoid sleeping on your side due to the risk of changing the directions of the brows. Don’t hesitate to ask the professional for any additional tips in maintaining the brows until the next visit. Please note that you only have to sleep on your back the first night that you received your treatment. Make sure you follow that at home care provided to you from the service provider.
By Dana Hinnant, Beauty Editor
Connecting With Dana Hinnant
Dana Hinnant, a Washingtonian native, whose journey into the beauty industry began 20 years ago after receiving her B.A. in Hearing and Speech Sciences from the University of Maryland in 2000. She received her aesthetics training at Von Lee International School of Esthetics in Baltimore, MD.
Dana started as a local makeup artist and events coordinator with Alluring Looks, Inc. in the Washington DC metropolitan area. Her articles were featured in local publications such as Pose Magazine and Yndigo newsletter. In the mid-2000s, she was a volunteer instructor with the American Cancer Society’s Look Good…Feel Better program, which landed her an esthetician position at an area day spa.
Over the past several years, Dana has worked with various non-profit organizations and small businesses. During her tenure as the President of the Health and Wellness division of the National Federation of the Blind DC affiliate, she utilized the platform to provide salon safety tips and skincare advice throughout the community. She was a consultant with the Ecumenical Health Council in Port Towns, MD doing beauty and wellness presentations at area churches and events.
In 2019, Dana received the Maryland Association of Community Service Award for Volunteer of the Year due to her community engagement work for The Arc of Prince George’s County. In addition, she also received the Volunteer of the Year award for 2020 from The Arc of Maryland. She is a member and an ambassador with the Professional Beauty Association. Dana is one of the co-owners of Capitol Collective Consulting LLC which launched in April 2021.
Connecting With Bold Blind Beauty
- 👀Subscribe to our YouTube Channel youtube.com/c/BoldBlindBeauty
- 🎧Listen to our Podcast boldblindbeautyonair.buzzsprout.com
- 👥Join our Facebook group @BoldBlindBeauty
- 👩🏾🦯Follow us on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook @BoldBlindBeauty
- Header – Laying out the eyebrow hairs after the eyebrow lamination procedure, the beautician combs the eyebrows.
- The beautician in black gloves, applies a moisturizing foam to the model’s eyebrow before the lamination procedure.
- Close up of lamination of eyebrows. The beautician corrects the applied composition for lamination on the brow.
- Removal of the remnants of unwanted eyebrow hairs of the model after the lamination procedure.
- Closeup of eyebrow hairs with tint applied to them after the lamination procedure
- Author bio photo is a headshot of Dana wearing a black scoop neck top under a black jacket. She has glowing caramel colored skin and short dark hair.