Abby’s Corner | 6 Simple Steps For A Summer Ready Look
How’s your summer coming along? I don’t know about you but with the heat and humidity, my air conditioner has been running practically nonstop.
Even though it’s hot outside who says we can’t look our absolute fabulous best? So what if we can’t see? Lack of eyesight doesn’t mean we can’t enjoy the world of makeup and revel in how good it makes us feel. Today’s post is not so much a makeup tutorial rather it’s a high-level view of what I use for my summertime look.
One important note to make before applying your makeup is to always protect your skin from sun damage by using either a moisturizer or foundation containing SPF. After cleansing and moisturizing (unless you’re using a tinted moisturizer) here are six steps to a summer ready look.
- Concealer (optional) – If you don’t need it, don’t use it. Concealer helps to minimize the appearance of dark under eye circles and blemishes. Apply concealer only to those areas where it’s needed. Use care in the under the eye area by gently patting concealer with your fingertips until it is evenly blended.
- Foundation (optional) – Use a sheer liquid foundation, mineral foundation or tinted moisturizer. Whichever one you choose blending is key to prevent streaking and an uneven appearance. Liquids are nice because blending by touch is a little easier when using your fingertips or makeup sponge, however, minerals are light and require a minimal amount of product for adequate coverage with a makeup brush.
- Eyebrows – An eyebrow pencil to fill in and shape brows followed by grooming them with a brow brush helps to soften your look. Eyebrow stencils can be a little tricky if they aren’t lined up properly but if you have some eyesight they can make it a little easier to define your eyebrows.
- Eyeliner – Outline the eyes along the lash line on upper and lower lids. I find thin liner crayon pencils are easier to manage versus liquid but it’s a matter of personal preference. Whichever one you use, eyeliner will open up your eyes.
- Mascara (optional) – I only apply mascara to my upper lashes because try as I might I cannot do my lower lashes without an end result like that of a raccoon.
- Lip Color – The final step is applying lip color or tinted lip balm. In the summer I tend towards lighter shades of nude, corals and pinks.
Less really is more and in the summer the idea is to feel fresh. So keep it simple, don’t forget to carry purse-size blotting papers for those spur of the moment selfies. Also, in addition to SPF for your skin, it’s important to protect your eyes from the harmful rays of the sun with sunglasses and/or a hat.
If you have any special summertime makeup tips we’d love to hear them!
Au revoir! ~Abby
The Abby’s Corner illustration was created by Jessica Marano. I’m in my jammies and slippers, sitting cross-legged on the floor with my laptop (complete with my Abby logo on the cover) and my signature hairstyle floating about my head. My white cane is propped up next to me. I am wearing my headset and microphone to allow me to use my accessibility features on my laptop.