“Sometimes when my underwear matches my outfit it makes me feel like I really have my life together.” ~Unknown
Underwear from panties, and bras to pantyhose, and more, there are many styles of shapewear to choose. What is shapewear, what does it do and how does it work?
Shapewear is underwear designed to temporarily alter the body to achieve a specific outcome. It’s like sculpting the body without a scalpel. Slimming the thighs, accentuating the waist, lifting the breasts, or sucking in the stomach, are typical areas to target.
Think of shapewear or any underwear for that matter, as the foundation to enhance your appearance in your clothing. Ill-fitting undergarments (shapewear included) can wreak havoc on that cute little number you just bought for the date of your dreams. Sagging or bagging in all the wrong areas does nothing to increase your self-confidence and can ruin the look you are aiming to achieve.
Some shapewear can be an exercise in frustration as putting it on is a workout. However, if you are going for a sleek, smooth appearance shapewear is a reasonable solution.
What Are the Different Types of Shapewear?
- Body Shapers – body suit or slip that can extend to mid/lower-thigh to flatten, squeeze and support the body by redistributing the jiggle.
- Bust Shapers – bodysuits or camisoles that shape, smooth, lift, and support.
- Camisoles/Tanks – slim, smooth, and accentuate the waistline; some lift and support breasts.
- Control Panties – slim, smooth and support the tummy and rear.
- Control Pantyhose – slim, smooth and support the tummy, rear, and legs.
- Leggings – as the name implies, smooths, shapes, and slims from the tummy on down.
- Slips – focus is on the tummy/waistline, hips, and thighs.
- Thigh Slimmers – flatten tummy, waistline, hips, and thighs; some are high-waist
- Waist Cinchers/Trainers – slim the waist and tummy.
Over the years I’ve tried several types of shapewear and I have to say my favorite piece is the corset. Do you have a favorite? What are your thoughts on shapewear?