Blind And Wanting Fashion On My Terms
Question: I am a vision rehab therapist working with an individual who has recently lost all of her sight…
…She has always been very clothes and style conscious and would like to be able to stay that way. She is not a computer user and does not plan to become one, but does have an iPhone. Do you have suggestions for how someone who is blind can stay current on fashions – especially those new fashions seen in New York City, but not necessarily in the “boonies” where we live? ~Eileen B.
Thank you for your question, on behalf of your client Eileen. There’s no doubt there are some unique challenges faced by people who are, or become blind or visually impaired in just about every area of life. When it comes to how we present ourselves to the world it can be especially daunting in how information is or isn’t presented.
Based on what I can glean from your comment, it sounds like your client is new to sight loss and in the short-term wants solutions other than technology to stay in the know. Following are a few things she might consider:
- Shopping with close friends or relatives who are familiar with her style
- Consultants will develop an in-depth personal profile to suit the individual needs of their client
- Personal Shopper/Styling Service
- Beauty Consultant
- Image Consultant
- Shop or sales assistants can help her choose outfits based on her input. It might be a good idea to call ahead first to make sure the store will have staff on duty to help.
- QVC does a remarkable job in describing the products they sell. Following is a small sampling of their fashion segments
- Morning Q Live – Style Edition
- Amy’s Closet (Amy Stran)
- Denim & Co.
- Inspired Style® – Late Night Edition (Courtney Cason)
Hopefully, with time your client will reconsider using technology as an option to keep up with the world of fashion as this will enable her to become more independent. There are so many resources online from blogs, YouTube videos, tutorials, and subscription services, to social media groups who are leveraging these platforms to get their message out to many diverse groups of people. Technology opens up an entire world of opportunities previously unavailable to those who are blind or visually impaired.
I hope this information is helpful. Please let me know if you have more questions.
Have a great weekend!