Fashion Expertise & Blindness
Question On Fashion Expertise: I am a vision rehab therapist working with an individual who has recently lost all of her eyesight. She has always been very clothes and style conscious and would like to be able to stay that way. While she has an iPhone, she is not a computer user and does not plan to become one. Do you have suggestions for how someone who is blind can stay current on fashions – especially those new fashions seen in New York City, but not necessarily in the “boonies” where we live? ~Eileen B.
Thank you, Eileen, for your question, on behalf of your client. There can be unique challenges faced by people who are, or who become blind or visually impaired in many areas of life. However, here at Bold Blind Beauty, we believe there is always a way.
Based on what I can glean from your comment, it sounds like your client is new to sight loss and wants non-technological solutions to remain informed. Following are a few things she might consider:
- Going shopping with close friends or relatives who are familiar with her style
- Consultants will develop an in-depth personal profile to suit the individual needs of their client
- Personal Shopper/Styling Service
- Beauty Consultant
- Image Consultant
- Shop or sales assistants can help her choose outfits based on her comments. It might be a good idea to call ahead first to make sure the store will have staff on duty to help.
- QVC does a remarkable job in describing the products they sell. Following is a small sampling of their fashion segments
- Morning Q Live – Style Edition
- Amy’s Closet (Amy Stran)
- Denim & Co.
- Inspired Style® – Late Night Edition (Courtney Cason)
Hopefully, with time your client will reconsider using technology as an option to keep up with the world of fashion as this will enable her to become more independent. There are so many resources online from blogs, YouTube videos, tutorials, and subscription services, to social media groups who are leveraging these platforms to get their message out to many diverse groups of people. Technology opens up an entire world of opportunities previously unavailable to those who are blind or visually impaired.
Featured Image Description:
The photo is a storefront with five fashionably dressed mannequins in various model poses. There is clothing hanging on racks around the mannequins and cool spotlight fixtures hanging from the ceiling. The clothing (skirts, tops, pants, and dresses) is varying shades of blue, white, and gray.
I hope this information is helpful. Please let me know if you have more questions.
Have a fabulous day!!